Adults: $15/day + Accommodation or Ashram day rateFirst Child: $10/day + Adult accommodation rate or Ashram day rateAdditional Children: $5/day each + Accommodation or Ashram day rate(Rates are for children aged 4+)
This exciting program has become a favorite annual vacation for parents wishing to gather with like-minded company, who are raising their children with a sensitive heart, reverence for the wonders of nature, and positive tools for self-regulation and self-esteem. Programming throughout the day draws from a solid foundation in yoga philosophy and lifestyle, with an age-appropriate approach. Parents of children ages 4-10 may drop-off their children to the Children’s Program and go to the adult asana classes held twice daily!
As experienced Sivananda Yoga Instructors and parents, Omkari (directing from afar) and the Teaching Team make yoga fun for all with dynamism, humor and play. Parents, as well as children of all ages, participate in this week’s program, bringing family and yoga together with special classes and activities. This program is open to children ages 4-10 (children under 4 can participate with supervision of a caregiver at all scheduled events).
Please email Omkari directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions you may have about Family Yoga Week!
Family Arrival & Departure Information
Day 1, Sunday: Arrival
• 2pm onwards – Check-in
• 4pm – Welcome Circle for parents and children together
• 6pm – Dinner
Day 6, Friday: Departure
• 6am – Satsang*
• 10am – Family Week ends after the morning children’s program.
• 11am – Checkout
• 12pm – Goodbye for parents and children together
Itinerary for Family Yoga Week
7:55am Morning snack for children | Child drop-off for children ages 4-10
8:30am Morning program – parents must attend if child is under age four years old. *Program includes: Karma Yoga, Meditation, Chanting, Spiritual Story | Children’s Asana Class*Children under age 4, must be accompanied by a caregiver.
10:00am Organic brunch – children eat with parents *Bring a tupperware container to make lunch snack for your child/ren*
11:00am Family Karma Yoga, Opportunity to offer selfless service *Days 2-5: Family Karma Yoga takes place in the Ashram Garden. Day 6: Checkout by 11am*
12:15pm Family Day Event *To be announced each day*
3:55pm Afternoon snack for children | Child drop-off for children ages 4-10
4:00pm Afternoon Program*Program Includes: Karma Yoga, Children’s Yoga Games, Arts and Crafts, Nature Walks.*Children under age 4, must be accompanied by a caregiver.
6:00pm Organic dinner (day ends) – Parents are responsible for their children until the next morning.
• Temple Tour
• Kirtan Class
• Hiking Around the Ashram – 77 acres of land
• 1 Family Satsang
• Swami Vishnu Film
Optional Family Outings with Ashram
• Lake Superior State Park: Swimming, Paddle Boats and Playground ($5 fee per person)
Optional Independent Family Outings
• Morningside Park – pool, paddle boats, row boats, playground
• Arati Shop – local natural health boutique and snack shop
• New Paltz – small local town with a variety of activities and restaurants
• Monhonk Mountains – nature hike and exploration
• Minnewaska State Park- nature hike and exploration
Vacation cost above includes program workshops, parent yoga classes, the 2 Ashram meals, and 2 satsangs per day for parents (parents who would like to join the Ashram meditation sessions, please ensure children are not left unsupervised). See ‘Ashram Schedule at the bottom of this page’ for further details.
Upon arrival and completion of registration payment, parents and/or caregivers must stay at the registration desk, read the Family Week Handbook, sign the agreement form and sign one photo release form for each child.
1. An Ashram is a sacred environment and not a school regulated space. You must watch your child at ALL times and take full responsibility for their care and adhere to The Guidelines for Family Week (you will receive upon arrival).
2. While the Ashram follows a Lacto-Vegetarian diet, the kitchen is neither nut-, gluten-, dairy-, or sugar-free, nor allergen-free. The Ashram does its best to offer vegan and allergen-free alternatives with advanced notice, but will not exclusively follow a particular regime for the duration of your visit. Always ask what is in the food choices before you eat. BRING YOUR OWN STOCK OF Preparation/Refrigerator Free-ALTERNATIVES. Parents are not permitted to freely walk in and out of the kitchen. Children are NOT permitted in the kitchen for health and safety regulations.
3. There is absolutely NO swimming in the Ponds on the premises of the Ashram. If your family wants to swim, Morningside Park, just 10-12 minutes from the Ashram has a Lifeguarded Pool!
4. Bathroom policy: All bathrooms are unisex with the exception of the main dorm building called ANANDA. In this dorm the first floor bathroom is for women and the second floor bathroom is for men. Children over the age of 6 MUST use the appropriated bathroom for toilets and showering. If your child still needs your support, use the unisex bathrooms in the VISHNU building for toilets and showering. If your family has any special needs, please read below.
5. Illness Policy: If your child becomes ill in any way or has a fever while you are staying at the Ashram, please keep your child OUT of the program for at 24 hours before returning to activity with other children and families.
6. IMPORTANTIn order to best serve your family, please inform Omkari if your child has ANY special or specific needs. Here is the process to support your family:
a. Email Omkari directly at email@example.com
b. Phone conversation to be sure this program is an good fit.
c. Strategy plan co-created to ease your concerns and answer questions.
Edya Kalev (Eka Joyti) is a Sivananda Yoga Teacher (E-RYT200) who has been working with children and families in a variety of educational settings since 1992. She has been to India twice to study yoga at the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram in Kerala, and at the KYM in Chennai. In addition to teaching yoga, Edya is a MELT Method Master Trainer who travels the country leading teacher trainings for this self-care modality, and is pleased to be able to offer MELT to our Youth Retreat children as a complement to yoga. Edya’s focus has always been to welcome young people into learning by engaging both body and mind fully. She has been assisting Omkari with Youth Camp since 2006, and now co-leads both the Youth Camp and Family Week.
Marta Gil (Gauri Devi)
Marta Gil (Gauri Devi) RYT-500, RCYT is a Sivananda Yoga Teacher. Gauri Devi is also a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher for people, ages 2-17. As a Children’s Yoga Teacher she was trained by OMkari (Tara Rachel Jones – Flower Yoga School). Gauri Devi lives in Westchester County NY where besides teaching adults, she runs yoga programs for kids, teens, and families in various schools, colleges, and community centers. Gauri Devi is passionate about spreading yoga far and wide, so the age of her current students ranges from 2 to 92. Since 2016, she has been a staff member of the Family Week and the Youth Yoga Retreat, first assisting and then co-leading at both Sivananda Yoga Ranch in New York and Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas. www.youngfloweryoga.com
The Ranch's Daily Schedule
6:00amSatsang or Silent Walk
8:00amHatha Yoga Class
12:00pmAfternoon Program& Free Time
4:00pmHatha Yoga Class
Satsang & Yoga Classes
Satsang consists of a 30-minute silent meditation, followed by 30 minutes of spiritual chanting (kirtan), and finishes with 30 minutes of spiritual lecture.
Daily attendance at both Satsangs and Hatha Yoga Classes is encouraged for your health and well-being and to maintain the proper rhythm and atmosphere of the ashram community.