Here is a real coming of age experience that ignites the golden star from within: Youth Yoga Retreat. ” This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine… ” How do we get there?
Yoga lights the way.
Experienced Sivananda Youth Yoga instructors Omkari (Founder and Directing from afar), Eka Jyoti, Gauri Devi, Sita and Anjum, will guide young teens through the beginning steps of Yoga with an engaging, structured and activity-filled program. They will guide young teens through the beginning steps of Yoga with an engaging, structured and activity-filled program. The program is open to young people ages 11-14 for 8 days of growth, connection, communion with nature and creativity.
Our Campers learn to polish their inner light with the 5 Points of Yoga as taught by Swami Vishnudevananda:
Proper Exercise: outdoor asana classes, bending the spine in 6 directions.
Proper Breathing: Taking in the fresh mountain air and experiencing the calm mind and body that deep breathing creates, running around in games, hiking, basic pranayama techniques.
Proper Relaxation: The art and practice of guided imagery and yoga sleep (yoga Nidra). Learning simple self-massage techniques with balls and rollers to go into deep relaxation.
Proper Diet: Following a vegetarian diet for 10 days! Creating a rainbow plate everyday! Rejoicing in the earth’s bounty and learning how we are comprised of the elements themselves.
Meditation and Positive Thinking: Sitting with big questions, finding inner confidence, wisdom and delight. Positive Thinking: Serving the community, connecting with friends, chanting and singing, honoring world cultures, living with and respecting one another’s similarities and differences, unplugging from the modern conveniences, creating beautiful artwork and tuning into nature. Culminating our time together with a Talent Show!
7:00amWake up, dress for class 7:45amSnack 8:00amYouth Satsang: meditation or silent walk, learning about the 5 Points of Yoga. 9:00amYouth Asana Class 10:00amOrganic Brunch 11:00amKarma Yoga: learning the art of selfless giving 11:30amVisit the boutique 12:00pmArts and Crafts: special workshops 1:00pmLunch preparation 2:00pmOrganic Lunch 2:30pmLunch cleanup 3:00pmNature walk / Hiking / Mind-Body Class 5:00pmGuided Relaxation 5:30pmFree time 6:00pmOrganic Dinner 7:45pmGuided Meditation 8:30pmSatsang 10:00pmStudents settling in their own rooms for the night 10:30pmLights out
• Opening Circle
• Temple Tour
• Kirtan Class
• Waterfall Hike / Swim
• Talent Show
Youth Yoga Retreat Arrival & Departure Information
Day 1: Arrival
• Arrival time: 1:00pm – 3:00pm
• Opening circle: 4:00pm (Parents & siblings welcome)
• Dinner: 6:00pm (Families welcome at an additional cost; please contact the reception in advance to reserve)
Day 7: Night before Last Day: Youth Yoga Retreat Talent Show
Parents, siblings, family and friends are welcome to join this celebratory evening! The Talent show begins at 8:00pm. Anyone planning to join for dinner or to spend the night must make individual reservations with the Yoga Ranch Reception. All fees for family attendance are charged separately.
• Limited space: 9 students! WE FILL UP!
• Cost: $675 (all inclusive, including accommodations & meals
• Registration OPENS no sooner than March 1, 2019 and CLOSES May 1, 2019 or as soon as the Retreat is full.
• After we are full, your child can be placed on our waiting list.
THERE ARE 2 VERY IMPORTANT STEPS IN ORDER TO GET FULLY REGISTERED:
A. Call and PAY in full with Reception staff at the Sivananda Yoga Ranch.
B. IMMEDIATELY following the payment part, contact Omkari, Youth Yoga Retreat Director firstname.lastname@example.org by FORWARDING YOUR PAYMENT RECEIPT in order to receive a
Youth Retreat Registration packet.
Youth Yoga Retreat packet includes:
1. Youth Yoga Retreat Application
2. A Medical form to be filled out by your child’s Primary Care Doctor
3. A request to obtain a copy of the front and back of your child’s Health Insurance Card ALL OF THIS PAPERWORK IS DUE completed and scanned via email to email@example.com ON OR BEFORE JUNE 1, 2019.
4. A Youth Retreat Handbook
You MUST do steps A&B to be fully registered. Any family whom has not completed both steps will be placed on the waiting list.
If Your Child is Wait-Listed:
1. Contact Eka Jyoti at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. You will be sent a wait-list application packet which will include all the items listed above.
3. ONLY UPON RECEIPT OF your child’s completed paperwork, will your child be assigned a slot and number on the waitlist.
4. Please send your waitlist paperwork completed and scanned via email to email@example.com
1. All registered students must arrive on Day 1 of the Retreat. No late arrivals.
2. Absolutely NO PAPERWORK is accepted upon arrival.
3. If your child has prescription and or over the counter medications, it must be clearly labeled, in a plastic bag along with typed up instructions along with parent signature.
4. Children whom take any type of regular medications MUST NOT temporarily stop the medication plan during the retreat unless otherwise indicated in writing and signed by your child’s prescribing doctor.
5. ALL ELECTRONICS MUST BE GIVEN TO PARENTS TO TAKE HOME. NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE PERMITTED AT THE RETREAT: including laptops, smartphones, iPads, Kindles, or Fitbits. NO MEDIA OF ANY KIND.
6. You and your child will be able to contact one another via the main telephone at the Ashram. We invite you to try to encourage yourself and your child to wait until Day 3 for calls. This gives the student an opportunity to adjust to the Retreat routine. You may always have direct contact with the instructors to check up on your children until day 3 and throughout the Retreat.
7. Parents may not bring special food to their students that require either refrigeration or food preparation in the kitchen. This is a time and safety issue for the kitchen staff and the camp staff. Students should remain encouraged to try the food that is served.
8. While the Ashram follows a Lacto- Vegetarian diet, the kitchen is neither nut, gluten, dairy, sugar free, nor, allergen free. The Ashram does its best to offer vegan and allergen-free alternatives with advanced notice, but will not exclusively follow a particular regime for the duration of your child’s visit. PARENTS MUST ADVISE YOUTH RETREAT STAFF OF ANY SERIOUS ALLERGIES IMMEDIATELY UPON ARRIVAL. Students with allergies should always ask what is in the food choices before they eat. STUDENTS SHOULD BRING BRING THEIR OWN STOCK OF PREPARATION-FREE and ALLERGEN-FREE foods.
ANY Needs Consideration
For the safety and wellbeing of your child, the whole retreat and most significantly, to best serve your child, it is required to inform Youth Yoga Retreat Director- Omkari, if your child has any special needs considerations. The Retreat is not designed specifically for these students, but a high value is place on inclusion, when possible. We care greatly for our students, their families and make every effort to plan ahead for a positive experience for all.
Here is the planning process, should your child have any specific needs:
a. Send an email directly to Youth Yoga Retreat Director, Omkari at firstname.lastname@example.org
b. Phone call discussion about the retreat and find out if it is a good fit.
c. Co-create a plan that will ensure a successful retreat experience
d. We do not have 1-1 aides available for students who need one. Parents are required to stay for 3-5 days and re-evaluate how it is going with Youth Yoga Retreat Director, Omkari at that point. parent may be required to stay for the duration of retreat if necessary.
What to Bring
Pocket Money: $20-30 (avoid giving more)
Clothing: Enough to last 7 days (see below)
4 pairs of pants, 6 pairs of shorts
2 Sweatshirts, 8 T-shirts
12 pairs of underwear, 6 pairs of socks
Sandals, 1 pair of sturdy sneakers or hiking shoes
Swimsuit, sun hat, rain jacket
Day pack, water bottle or canteen (very important)
Toiletries and toiletry bag
Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and soap dish
Shampoo, brush or comb
Sunscreen, insect repellant
Tissues, flashlight & spare batteries
Notebook, envelopes, pen & pencil
Please do not bring: candy, junk food, walkman, electronic games, cell phones, ipods or computer
Edya Kalev (Eka Joyti) is a Sivananda Yoga Teacher (E-RYT200) who has been working with children and families in a variety of educational settings since 1992. She has been to India twice to study yoga at the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram in Kerala, and at the KYM in Chennai. In addition to teaching yoga, Edya is a MELT Method Master Trainer who travels the country leading teacher trainings for this self-care modality, and is pleased to be able to offer MELT to our Youth Retreat children as a complement to yoga. Edya’s focus has always been to welcome young people into learning by engaging both body and mind fully. She has been assisting Omkari with Youth Camp since 2006, and now co-leads both the Youth Camp and Family Week.
Marta Gil (Gauri Devi)
Marta Gil (Gauri Devi) RYT-500, RCYT is a Sivananda Yoga Teacher. Gauri Devi is also a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher for people, ages 2-17. As a Children’s Yoga Teacher she was trained by OMkari (Tara Rachel Jones – Flower Yoga School). Gauri Devi lives in Westchester County NY where besides teaching adults, she runs yoga programs for kids, teens, and families in various schools, colleges, and community centers. Gauri Devi is passionate about spreading yoga far and wide, so the age of her current students ranges from 2 to 92. Since 2016, she has been a staff member of the Family Week and the Youth Yoga Retreat, first assisting and then co-leading at both Sivananda Yoga Ranch in New York and Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas. www.youngfloweryoga.com
I am from India and had interest in Yoga from my childhood. Started yoga at a very early age and it became a part of my daily routine. After 20+ years of work in the mainstream; I finally decided to pursue the dream of being completely involved in the science of yoga. I got certified as a Teacher, training from Sivananda Ashram in 2015 with extensive knowledge transfer of the Vedas, Upanishad and Ayurveda. I learned the art of living under the intelligent influence of the mind. I have also completed and got certified as the Flower Yoga teacher for Youth , Teen and Family Yoga. I also did the Sunlight teachers training in Chair Yoga . Last but not least, I did the Warriors at Ease Level 1 training online.
The Ranch's Daily Schedule
6:00amSatsang or Silent Walk
8:00amHatha Yoga Class
12:00pmAfternoon Program& Free Time
4:00pmHatha Yoga Class
Satsang & Yoga Classes
Satsang consists of a 30-minute silent meditation, followed by 30 minutes of spiritual chanting (kirtan), and finishes with 30 minutes of spiritual lecture.
Daily attendance at both Satsangs and Hatha Yoga Classes is encouraged for your health and well-being and to maintain the proper rhythm and atmosphere of the ashram community.